Relief !

This morning we woke to cool temperatures and fall like winds.  I was out of bed in a flash and "tore open the shutters and threw open the sash" !  In a matter of minutes every window in the house was open.  It was so nice to have the air conditioners off and fresh air pouring through the house.    Its hard to explain what joy this brings after experiencing the 2nd hottest summer in the history of record keeping in Texas.  With the windows open we heard and watched neighborhood children laughing and squealing in delight as they threw their arms out to the side and ran around in the cool wind.      
Its strange, but in a matter of 24 hours, I find myself not thinking about the oppressive heat, but about pumpkins, crisp fall apples, fall gardens, Autumn colors and of baking Amish  Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls and canning  apple pie filling.    Once again I am planning my next batch of soap and wondering how much bees wax I have left for candle dipping.    There is a desire to clean out the wood stove and blacken it once again, getting it ready for next months use.   This simple life is one of knowing the seasons and planning accordingly.  The chicken house needs to be cleaned and the barn readied for cooler nights.  We need to check out our supply of wood for the winter and cut more if needed.  Intellectually, I know there will be more warm days, probably several in the 90's but this glorious morning has shown that cooler temperatures have arrived too. 
Think I will head to Starbucks today for my first Pumpkin Spice Latte and celebrate the idea of cool weather.

Comments

Rain began here in KY Sunday afternoon--not a deluge, no high winds, just the blessing of a good soaking rain and cool temperatures.
Amazing how the back lawn which has been brown and crisp for days is green again--just overnight!
Dawn said…
Girl, I felt the same way this morning. =)

My 1st thought was that I needed to go to the Yankee Candle Store and load up on all the fall scented candles. =)

Then of course recipes came into mind and so on and so forth.

I was looking at the forcast for the next 5 days and it's going to be in the 60's for the low and low 90's for the high...wooohooo!!!

I wish I could tear open the windows...none of them nor the doors have screens...ugh!!!!

But it was nice to step outside and breathe in such yummy air that we have been longing for...

Popular Posts