A Morning Ramble



Grass crunching under my feet like the sound made when you crunch potato chips for the top of a casserole.   Acorns falling like little bombs on the metal roof of the porch and you can almost hear the delight in the voice of the squirrel as he lets another one go.  His chattering calling to his siblings, and then the race begins.  Round and round the tree trunk they go, having fun.     Birds seem to be enjoying the cooler weather, there is more bird song this morning.  8 Robins hunt for worms in the unforgiving cement like soil.  Crows flying back and forth over the yard, they seem to be telling me that yes, fall time is on the way.  I notice the squirrels, now up in the high branches of the cottonwood, have thin tails.  I was so hoping they would be extra bushy this year.  Maybe there is still time for them to grow thicker ones.  A sign winter will be colder.   The red oak tree next to the porch is having a "mast" year.  So many acorns on it, but the other oaks have barely a handful on them.  Nature can be fickle.
The morning sun is golden, warmer in color than a month ago.  Its good to see.    I spend some time thinking about the moments last night spent with no lights on as the day faded into night.  I wondered how it would be to live according to the true rhythm of life.  Going to bed at dark, waking at first light. Was that God's original plan ?  To have those folks in the cold dark north, sleep so much more, a bit of a hibernation of sorts ?  It felt good to be experiencing in silence this coming of night.  No lights, no man made sounds.   Ahh, but my wonderful man arrives in the room from finishing his evening chores and turns on the light, the moment is gone, but another one began.  A conversation about my thoughts.  We wonder...should we go to bed at 8 !  We don't. Fearful of what time we might wake up for the day !
Now, with so many hours of sunlight behind me, I wonder about this kind of natural life where your life was ruled by Gods most original plan.   It is not yet 10 and I have accomplished a lot.  Two meals made for the freezer.  One for when many people are here and one for fewer people.  Its nice to be prepared.  Last night Melanie, Casimir and the children came for supper.  We laughed, we ate.  It was relaxed.  Good conversation, easy.     Motherhood is a wonderful journey.   Babies, toddlers, small children, teens, young adults, adults, grand parenting...each stage so wonderful, so full of blessings.  So exciting, so humbling, so teaching to us.  Many reflections of our our faults and shortcomings become so visible in our children, we learn to be better people, if we look honestly.    How I love my life, even when the grass is so dry its like walking on crushed potato chips.  

Comments

Patty,
I really enjoyed reading this.
Fall has come suddenly in South-Central Kentucky--after weeks of such hot weather the mid-60's see me wearing a warm hoodie today.
I love quiet moments with no lights as day transists to night--doesn't often happen that I can sit and take note of it.
Dawn said…
It's going to get back into the upper 90's and 100's beginning today. Ugh! Don't know how long it will last though.
I knew this cooler weather was too good to be true. I thought fall had come a little early to Texas and I was right.

For now though, I enjoy not running the a/c and am trying to soak up as much cooler air before we bake again... =)
Patty said…
this time of year, the hot days are peppered with cool nights and there are not long strings of 100 degree days...all positive signs and easier to deal with.
I truly enjoyed reading this post, its almost as if i'm there. Your way of writing, bring it all to life. It is so fulfilling to sit in the solitude of the very late evening, and take in the night and as it creeps slowly in. I rarely find time without outside stimulus, to do such as this, which makes it even more precious.

Popular Posts