The Raw Food Way of Life




Eating a raw foods diet does not mean you eat the same old boring salad every meal, or just having a banana and an apple for breakfast. So far, this way of eating has been an exciting adventure. I have learned many new ways of preparing foods and having fun doing just that.
Emery purchased an Excalibur nine tray dehydrator with a timer for me and that has opened up a whole new line of foods for me to make. I had a dehydrator, but it was not capable of doing what the Excalibur can do. Its been running non stop since it arrived !
Still feeling great eating this way and found out by going out to eat one evening this past week that I really sleep better, feel much better all around, if at this point I just stick to the raw diet with the exception of something cooked each Sunday evening at home. Usually something like quinoa with raw tomato sauce on it.
Yesterday I made a raw key lime cheesecake and made a large batch of raw onion rings that are then put in the dehydrator for a few hours. Also made another batch of the eggplant "bacon".
Right now there are two trays of banana/strawberry fruit leathers in the dehydrator.Perfect for taking along on hikes. Am sprouting some seeds too, love having fresh sprouts to add to a salad. . Still loosing weight, blood pressure keeps getting lower, it was never real high, once in a while 135/80...still higher than I would like. Yesterday it was 109/75 !
No agenda on how long I will continue to eat this way, probably for as long as I feel good .
This way of eating blends in well with our approach to simple living. The garden will be a huge blessing to us, as food keeps going up in price and buying all organic fruits and veggies gets expensive.
I love that we have so much to add to the compost pile each day and less and less that needs to be taken out to the trash. I like the idea of not contributing to the local landfill.
For a while now, God has been tapping me on the shoulder about eating this way and to be honest, it wasn't what I was wanting to hear, so I simply made fun of this way of eating and continued on the way I had been for many years. Finally, I humbled myself, took the plunge and am I glad I did.
Emery is having to eat some cooked foods daily and upping his protein. He is missing a portion of his intestines due to a ruptured appendicts many years ago and he developed gangrene. He has some trouble assimilating some vitamins and minerals, which makes his dietary needs much different than mine. Plus he is thin and can't afford to cut back on calories. We are finding a good balance for both of us. Hard to admit it, but we are getting older and your bodies change with the years and you need to be vigilant in providing for your bodies needs. Healthy aging is important and both of us want to maintain our active lifestyle and being able to say we are not on any medications, other than my thyroid medication.
We raised our family on good food, and not junk food. Made a commitment early on in our marriage that our health was a priority and so far its paid off, just now its time to step it up a notch, get my body the size it needs to be and eat well and with pleasure.

Comments

Sweetpatootie said…
Patty,

I am unfamiliar with, but intrigued by the raw food diet. Are beans and grains allowed, and if so, how are they prepared, since normally they are cooked prior to eating them.
Anonymous said…
Patty, I am glad that your diet is working so well for you.

Our dietary needs are so important, but often we tend to ignore them, until it it too late.

Maria.
This is all very interesting.....I am curious about how you make a raw food cheese cake. Can you share this? I admire your willingness to try new things and entertain new ideas!
Patty, Do I need to use any special equipment to make sprouts? I am wanting to do this. Thanks. Nancy
Patty,
What an adventure you're on - I'm glad you're enjoying the discovery element as well as the results!
We're embarking on a more whole foods approach around here, with organic gardening methods, cleaner eating and a reduction in meat consumption. We're beginning to use words like "alkaline" ;). With a kiddo with kidney disease and immunesuppression, a 10-yr-old daughter with tummy troubles and my ongoing irritable bowel disorders, it's past time to see if we can treat through diet & nutrition.
Would love to see some of your raw food recipes.
I hope you continue to enjoy good results.
Warmest regards,
Teri

Popular Posts