A Repost from Feb 2008, Simple Things, Simple Joys, Emotional Happiness


As time passes, there is a stronger conviction each day, that living simply opens up for me more and more moments of joy. Each step I take has purpose, gives me a view of the moment. Life now allows me to look carefully at the smallest detail, to be silly if I want, to be contemplative if I choose. This morning when having my breakfast, Emery had already gone to work...I was late getting chores done. After putting some milk on my oatmeal and in my tea, there was a bit left in the creamer and looking around as if someone might just see, I tipped up the creamer and drank what milk was left as if it was in a cup. A moment of silliness. How my Grandmother would have scolded me. A woman must never ever forget her manners, but I didn't forget, I just took liberty ! I can honestly say that our choice of lifestyle, living with less so I could stay home and raise the children and homeschool them, choosing the sometimes difficult path of growing our food, heating with wood, limited appliances, and walking a narrow path for so many years has been so worth it. So long ago, it was worth it to have high standards in choosing a husband. One that I could pray with, that exemplifies living ethically, with deep and abiding morals. We are a sum of our choices, and we do have choices. We are not set in some pre-programmed rail that we cannot get off of.
Riches have never called to me, not the material kind. Somehow I always knew, even as a very young teen that things are not the ingredients that make a satisfying life recipe. Last night I heard the following and felt a lot better about not having amassed a huge financial fortune....made me feel that what I do have is great wealth of love and happiness.
"The Center for Risk Research at the Stockholm School of Economics recently published some research that found "obsession with money or the excessive pursuit of it is really reflective of a deep deficiency of our emotional lives and of our relationships."

Comments

Popular Posts