The Journey is today


Soft music, wind chimes outside the window where I am painting, dance in the summer breeze.  The two sounds mingle in pleasantness.  Incense burn, creating an atmosphere of a spiritual nature.   Paint brush in hand I work on finishing up the living room.  Over the weekend I redid the ceiling.  Joint compound thinned to the consistency of pancake batter, rolled on and then textured using a slap brush technique.   After it was done, we painted it.   Emery put up a new light fixture in the living room too.   What struck me with all this work, was that this too is part of life's journey.  This quote came to mind as sweat rolled off my forehead...."Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water." ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

The destination of this journey I have begun in earnest is indeed the journey itself, the work of it, the work of life, the day to day.  The awakened awareness within me of my actions.  That no word is insignificant, no thought that doesn't result in some kind of action.   I am seeing with deeper clarity the things in me that I wish to change.  Why did I say that ?  What made me feel envious ?  What made me wish to appear different than what I am in my deepest core ?   Why am I not seeking full health at every turn ?   Why does something that happened in my childhood still hold me in its own worn out grasp ?   What makes me talk about another soul in a negative light ?   No, I am not being hard on myself here, I am seeking to see clearly the things I wish to change about myself.  The things that hold me back from being that enlightened soul I want to be.  To be free from the stuff that causes me to regret.   So, as I go about my work, it is that hauling water and chopping wood experience, the very same experiences that we do throughout our lives....perhaps though, as we grow on this wonderful journey, we look at our work with a higher value put on it for what it does for our authentic self.  It is part of the journey.  Awareness is awakening. 

Comments

Popular Posts