Internet Addictions....

In the news right now there is discussion about how Internet addictions.   "Internet as addictive as alcohol, tobacco - A new study shows that the Internet can be as addictive as alcohol and cigarettes as deprivation may lead to feelings of unhappiness."   This kind of hit home to me after Emery and I mused over the fact that last weekend, I was sitting in front of the PC with a laptop to my left, on and functioning, with my iPhone to my right.  On my chest, a motion sensor to see how much time each day I am active or just sitting.  I was surrounded.    Last week I read where there are now vacations you can book that are Internet/cell phone free.  You leave your gadgets at the desk and discover what we had before we had all this stuff.  These vacations are gaining popularity.   I could use some of that.  Here it is 10 am and I have accomplished very little other than my facebook updates and a few computer searches.  I am not happy about that, but the reality is, the Internet is really interesting, captivating and yes, I believe addictive.  Perhaps my family should plan an intervention, but if the truth be told, they are all as bad as I am and it would be hard for them to pull themselves away from their connections long enough to intervene.  Of course, I am exaggerating here but there is a seed of truth to most exaggerations as we all know.  I guess for me, I am just a bit too aware of my dependance of these gadgets to ignore.  I want to take back my productive time.  I want to walk away from "updates" and news stories and spend more time in the kitchen, or with my knitting needles.  Get back to the place where "instant" is not expected and demanded.    But...and here come my excuses....its such a hot summer, can't be outside in this record breaking heat spell and certainly its too hot to have the oven going.  "The heat has drained my energy".   So, logically, sitting in front of the computer makes good sense in this summer heat.  Well, there is such a thing as reading, crafting etc.  The reality, many of us have become slaves to modern technology.  Me included.  Its exciting stuff.   But, deep inside me is this nagging feeling that I am loosing more than I am gaining by sitting in front of a screen for so many hours a day.   The need to step back, look long and hard at my time spent and re-evaluatel things.   Simplify.  Be a bit more old fashioned once again.   

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh, i can so relate to what you've said here. i think i must be an addict ~ even though i don't really like the idea of all this technology! It is now 11am, i've been up since 7:30 and outside of going to the dr's office for a blood draw and tidying the kitchen i have been either glued to foxnews or the computer. Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!
Words spoken as if they have come from my heart....how do you do that? I too yearn to step back in time. I marvel at the fact that years ago I would get so much accomplished in my day....these days, I don't come close at all. I so do miss those days of busy yet satisfying work around my home. I think it is time to step back! : )
Deanna said…
But it's all just so interesting! ;)
Campbell Kids said…
There is some truth to this indeed. I was on a one week cruise to Alaska, seeing some unforgettable sites and lamenting the fact I couldn't get online for even a minute to check my email! I think I did have a total of about 12 minutes online (VERY expensive on a cruise ship per minute) for an entire week!

Blessings,
Dianne

www.mysouthernheart.com
www.campbellkidsfarm.com
Jen said…
You know Patty I have been thinking about this post for a couple of days. I had seen a article recently about what was termed “Facebook depression”. In recent years, children have gone from playing outdoors to spending their time inside using Facebook or Twitter. A new report suggests that not only are kids being influenced by online activities, but that these online activities could lead to “Facebook depression".
http://www.dailyrx.com/news-article/facebook-status-depressed-12394.html
I think you may have a real point about the desire to do something that broadens our horizon, which might be why we indulge in the Internet, but needing to offset this need with the pursuit of hobbies and things dear to our personality. Still I am grateful to the lord you are around to share the time online with!

Popular Posts