A New Dress for Mei-Ling

Last week when I was at Goodwill there was a lovely old crochet Cotton girls dress. It was rather stained and not sure if the stains would come out, I opted to take a few pictures with my phone and then see if I could recreate the same dress on my own. I learned to crochet chains when I was 4 years old, so after decades of crocheting, its not hard for me to copy something by just looking at it. Here is the new dress for Mei-Ling, its not going to fit her for a couple years but that's o.k. I had a stash of old crochet cotton with the palest of greens to use for the contrast color.
I am pleased with the end results. The dress has buttons up the back of the bodice and I plan on making a very pale green cotton slip to wear under the dress and I think there needs to be some ribbon run through the waist line with a nice big bow in back. I think the green I used was a bit lighter than in the original, but it seems to work alright. I thought about making it with pink but then decided to make it exactly like the one I saw in the store. There is a crochet flower over the ribbon on the bodice and for the life of me I could not figure out how it was made, so made one like it from an old pattern book.
I did have to take a few rows out a couple times trying to get the right amount of stitches, but all in all it was a pleasure to make.

Comments

Becky said…
OH that is so lovely!
Ladybug's Mom said…
It's moments like that when I really love technology. What a great idea taking pictures to use as a pattern!
Pat Jacks said…
Gorgeous dress. I can crochet but need directions to make anything. Wish I had your talent. She will look lovely in it.
The Stricklands said…
It's absolutely precious! She will look adorable (as always) wearing this dress that her grandmother made with such love.
TinaJewel said…
It is beautiful! And yes it would look like a ribbon threaded through the waist would be the needed finishing touch! Great job!
Godyssey said…
How beautiful! Mei-Ling is one lucky girl to have such a loving family.:)
tiffany said…
Oh that is the sweetest little dress ever. I love it and best of all it was clearly made with lots and lots of grma love.
Renee said…
The dress is just lovely.
~Bren~ said…
Patty,
That dress is incredible! GORGEOUS!!
Erin said…
Absolutely gorgeous!!!
heatherdmc said…
I think I said enough about that lovely dress on the homestead list....but I have to say, seeing your goat a top your blog makes me miss my zeke and Clemmy!
Kristin Joy said…
How sweet.! That dress is absolutely beautiful and adorable. God bless you Mei-Ling..
Ashley said…
It's precious baby dress!! I got a doted printed dress for my niece from Macys...

Popular Posts