Grand-blessings

A tiny one naps from all the activities of the day. Up early to see her Papa before he heads off to work, and then cooking with Grammie. I am in awe once again of the miracle of childhood and the sheer delight they find in the simple things around them. Crayons and paper, a two bags of cloth with draw strings that can hold all sorts of things or become silly socks for feet or funny mittens that seem to belong to a roaring monster hidden behind a pretty little face that loves to pretend.
I wondered today as I played with Mei-Ling how some of these young mothers are able to spend so much time on the computer. Children may play well by themselves but missed opportunities to teach and to just watch the wonder of childhood unfold before you if too much time is given to the computer. I am thankful over and over that the Internet was not available when my girls were little. It would have been a big temptation to me.
Today we played in the yard under the oak trees, feeding leaves to the goats, collecting rocks and putting them all in Papa's wheel barrow. We petted kitties and got kisses from Harry who certainly must seem the size of a horse to this wee one. I watched Mei-Ling draw pictures in the wet ground with a stick with as much fun as she had earlier with crayons and paper. I marvelled at her joy in just marching back and forth over the bridge, her mud boots making such a fun sound. I sat on the end of the bridge remembering the joy I had as a mother of small children and thankful, so thankful that God gives us the opportunity to be grandparents and see this joy a second time, with less responsibility but with more time to just enjoy.
I imagined what coming to Grammies and Papa's house will seem like to the grandchildren when they are 10 and 12 or 15. Will they go out to the barn and enjoy the animals and sit before the wood stove in winter, talking easily as sitting by a fire always seems to allow for. Will they expect warm cookies on the table and home made bread to slice ? I suspect so. Will they know a hug and acceptance is always there for them ? To be sure !
I feel blessed, very blessed indeed to have grandchildren close and so well behaved that I enjoy their company. Mei-Ling has been here since Thursday morning and I can honestly say she has not gotten into any mischief nor has she been scolded for any mis-deed. I know this reflects on the care and training from her tender parents that devote so much time to her and for this I am so grateful. Each night she brings a book to Papa and tells him to sit on the floor near here and read to her. Its not bossy or rude in the way she does it, just excited. An example of how her dad reads to her each night and she doesn't want to miss that tradition. And after the story she is ready for bed, walks to her crib and lays down like a grown up and goes to sleep. No fuss. Except the other night when storms rolled through, way past her bedtime. Thunder boomed so loudly and lightning flashed so often it seemed a bit like a giant strobe light outside. We snuggled our little lady close between us on the sofa, she grabbed Emery's hand and mine and made us hold hands across her lap, a little belt of security. So sweet. We kept her up late, until the storm had passed and the lights didn't flicker any more.
A grandmother bragging...oh yes ! Its my prerogative : )
But more than that, its a life story of another generation that gives love and joy and that is a blessing beyond words.
This little tiny one, sound asleep as I write had a busy morning, helping Grammie hang clothes, her tiny hands holding three clothespins at a time, reaching up to hand one to me. To her fun, to me, a gift of love in the way her eagerness and happy smile filled my heart and a profound sense of gratefulness for her life, so many times held in the balance.
She misses her mommy and daddy and talks with them twice a day....they will be home tomorrow and I am sure the wee one will be happy to see them and I am glad they are just 7 houses away, so that coming to Grammies house is never far away.

Last night....Hair freshly combed, ready to head out of the house with Grammie and Papa
to eat at our favorite Chinese restaurant, Mei-Ling and her "baby" really enjoyed it and of course we did too.
The owners of the restaurant gave her a cute outfit they purchased just for her on a recent trip to China. She is everyones sweetie.

Comments

Hazel said…
She is just too cute!!! I received my giveaway package today, and it is wonderful! I have hung everything up and it looks like I am ready for fall now. Thank you again. It was a lovely package!!
What a sweetie!
Grandparenting is such fun.
That is a lovely gift they gave her. Grandchildren surely are a blessing from the Lord.

Popular Posts