Monday Morning Chat

We are making a lot of changes in our lives right now. Decluttering has become more of a purging type activity. It has become more intense, more spiritual, more philosophical, more about freedom than just about making the house less full. I am planning on a yard sale next weekend, if the weather permits. It will be a whopper of a sale. I keep thinking about how much I would love my own sale back a few years when I still had the need to collect, to gather, to hold on to things. There will be tea cups, furniture, shabby chic things, dishes, all the things I once believed would make me happier, but things just give us momentary happiness that so many times is short lived. Not talking heirlooms here, or things with profound sentimental value.
Emery and I spent a wonderful day together yesterday. We went for brunch, held hands while we waited for our food to come and smiled at each other in the same way we did nearly 30 years ago. We did some furniture "looking". In store after store, even the high dollar ones, "engineered" and "composition" wood were to be found, maybe not on the major part of the pieces we looked at, but in drawers or shelves. We found some imported pieces that will fit nicely with our new, more Zen inspired look. With certain imports, you worry about deforestization etc. I think the best solution is for Emery to start building !
We strolled through a large garden center. Purchased moss, and a wonderful little dwarf mugo pine. Oh yes, we picked up some new mint plants as ours died out last year and we are huge fans of Meadow tea in summer, so lots of mint required around here. We are changing the entire front yards landscaping. I spent most of Saturday working on the plans. Graph paper all over the desk, colored pencils helping to determine just the look I wanted. With plans complete, we wanted to purchase a few plants to help get the new yard going. A bit more shopping for what we needed, then a stop at the ice cream shop for a rather unhealthy but delightful treat of a double dip ice cream cone. The day had the feel of a date, more than just running the errands that needed to be done. I think that is how life and love are supposed to mesh together.
I had my camera with me the entire day, but never used it.
We did see another Smart Car....that is my personal dream car and we hope to test drive one as soon as they become more available in these parts. Just think they are so cute. They are affordable, use less space, less gas, and make a statement of sorts about not buying into the mentality that you have to have a big vehicle in order to look as if you have arrived at some station in life. We plan on owning a Smart Car. A large picture of this small car is right in the middle of my vision board !
Time for me to get busy and work on the front yard some. It's not a bad thing at all to get your hands dirty by digging in the rich brown dirt .

Comments

Attie said…
OOHH I love yard sales...I try to declutter...than i go a rummaging!! My Grandma was the queen of Rummagging!!
Dawn said…
Smart cars are the norm here in Europe. They are so darn cute! :)
Patricia said…
And the smart cars are so quiet! Alas, we can never have one since they do not come in 4 wheel drive.
I do like them however.
Patricia
JenJen said…
Thanks for this wonderful post. It is so inspiring to hear how in love you and E are after all these years! :)

Decluttering is an ongoing process for us. We keep finding little things, hidden away in corners, just begging to be used or passed on. We normally put out a box a month for charity. Some things go on eBay. We are not allowed to have yard sales where I live, and I didn't have much success with them, anyway.

Happy flinging!

~JM

Popular Posts