Getting What You Want, The Law of Attraction

Last year I made a list of things I wanted. This list had nothing to do with basic needs, it was a list of wants. This list took careful thought because for me "wanting" things can change you, redefine you in an instant. Things can send you in a different direction. I had read the book "The Secret" and was impressed equally with the DVD by the same name. I wanted to see if this law of attraction worked. I am at times very logical and quantum physics appeals to me and the law of attraction works on scientific principals. I always have seen God as a God of order, working within the rules of science, most we have no understanding of with our tiny brains.
So on my refrigerator I put photos of things I wanted, things that would have to just come my way, since they were not things we had in our minds to purchase. I printed the pictures off onto magnetic sheets so they would stick nicely. A new silver station wagon, a trip to havasue falls, an iPod, kitchen cabinets, a certain amount of income for the year, a business of my own, a cell phone and one thing was on there that did not happen YET, to be 134 lbs. Every other thing mentioned, has happened, well the trip hasn't but the reservations are made.
Then there were little things I had wanted, but you know I hate to spend full price for things so they were dreams really...A Dale of Norway Sweater for instance. I have been checking for two years on eBay for the one I like, all more than I wanted to spend. I decided that I was going to find one locally, and I did, at a school yard sale. $3 tags still on it, brand new ! I said we were going to get a gas well lease, and we did. I know full well that some folks just think this Law of Attraction thing is nuts but it works. It's praying and believing, it's thinking positive, it's faith. It's attracting to you the things you want in your life. Even attitide. Parking spots. Coffee. Certain music. Getting past things, but you have to want to get past them, not just hold onto them like you might an unhealthy relationship.
It's all those things. It's ask and you shall receive. It is attracting into your life the things you want. Think carefully about what you want. I really put this thing to the test, wanting some things at a bargain that would be almost impossible to get in these parts. I have received each and every one. Some items like the mineral rights to new property we purchased, was a "want" about as impossible as you can get. We are right in the middle of the biggest gas deposits in North America and no one is parting with their mineral rights. I wanted them and we got them without any hesitation. Less than 6 months later, we had a knock at the door from a Gas company, lease in hand. All this has deepened my belief in God, not because I am getting what I want, but because it proves that you can ask, believe and receive. I have used this for health issues too. Emery uses the Law of Attraction at work and it works. He had an amazing year.
Not sure I will ever get to the place of wanting to be rich monetarily speaking, technically we probably are pretty close to rich, since we have all we want, but we like to live simply so it doesn't show in glamorous ways.
Writing about The Law of Attraction always brings on the heat, but you know what, so what ! I am tired of treading lightly because someone might be offended. It works for me, this "Secret" and when it comes down to it, we all know that if you are a grump, filled with anger and bitterness, that is exactly what you will attract back to yourself. If you are a drama queen, you will get more drama, if you are happy and filled with joy, you get more of that very thing back. If you are kind, you get more kindness back at you. If you expect things, they happen. If you expect to wake up feeling cruddy, you will. If you expect to be spit on, someone will. Oh wait, I was just expecting to be spit on regarding the subject at hand, so I am changing my tune. I will not expect people to be offended, but instead expect open minds, and stories of how these principles have worked for others. Yup, I want to attract that....

Tomorrow on Oprah, it will be about The Secret behind The Secret

this morning, sun behind clouds, radiant

Comments

Iowa Gal said…
I don't mean to be stupid but what is this gas lease you talk about? My husband and I live in a tiny village and we have natural gas. thanxx! Have a wonderful day. P.S. have you put your coffee table together yet?
Patty said…
a gas lease gives the drilling company right to drill on your land. You get a percentage of all the gas they get from your land
mikesgirl said…
I read the Secret and really, really wanted to try it in my life. But, I guess I didn't understand what I was supposed to do. Is it actually, just asking for what you want - like in a prayer, or just in your head? I see you took the physical step of using pictures and posting them - is that more of what you need to do? I may be making it harder than what it actually is - it just seems too simple to just think in your head of what you want. Could you elaborate a little bit? Thanks - love your blog!
ellemenope said…
I hope you continue to post without censuring your posts. I really enjoy the posts you write that come from what you truly think, feel & believe. These posts that you write really inspire me. I can kinda tell when you are writing and trying not to offend certain people. I don't say that to be critical or anything, just that I can notice a difference, and that I, personally, get quite a lot out of your posts where you are writing from how you really feel.
Patty said…
Thanks Ellemnope, it certainly is more freeing to write what I really feel
Patty said…
MikesGirl, visualizing is important when you are using the law of attraction, and seeing yourself having what you are wanting. For me, making a "vision board" is important. Keeps me on track, keeps me thinking possitive. It is said, you just need to Ask, Believe and then Receive. Mind you I am still working on seeing myself at 134 lbs !
grbev said…
Sometimes as I am getting out of my car at a second hand store, I visualize in my mind what I need, and amazingly I will find it there.
... Paige said…
I read that book and not sure if works. That's most likely why it hasn't yet. Yes I said yet, because I am positive that we will win the lottery and clear 9 million.
Positive thinking never hurts.
Oh that reminds me maybe I should buy a ticket. Gotta go
Laurie Ann said…
Interesting post. I've heard of "The Secret" and just kind of poo pooed it. I also had the feeling that it seemed a little athiestic and materialistic. It is interesting how you used it within the confines of your faith.
Unknown said…
Patty, After a horrible day yesterday driving broken ankle hubby around- he is not a good backseat driver.. I read your blog this morning. He has watched the dvd and lost sight of his dreams and what he has to be grateful for. Anyway.. I read him your post and he realized what he had done yesterday- brought on much misery. So had to go back out today. I visualized finding something really cool at Goodwill. I found a free standing quilt rack- about 5ft tall or so. 4 rungs. Handmade- for $5! I also found a awesome skirt in my size and a lovely cotton cabled sweater- in pink! I am very happy indeed. Thanks for the reminder!
Anonymous said…
Patty I have been using the "secret" method for many years, and I agree, IT WORKS!

I came across this way to live about 20 years ago whilst on my every continuing spiritual search and so it began.

It's not new, it's not weird, it's nothing more than the laws of attraction that work within the universe and has been written by theologians, philosophers, scientists and others for thousands of years.

For those who wish to dismiss the idea or call us crackpots...to them I say....your loss!

cheers
Anonymous said…
I have had friends who have put down the book but they have not read it themselves... I think I may go request a copy right now from the library!
Louise said…
Patty - Great post! You said it well. Congrats to you for not hiding this gift you have been given.

I sometimes feel the same way. But I know too well what the LOA can do to bring more joy to peoples lives.

I am a life coach and teach people how to develop skills with the LOA to attract more joy.

Don't forget to watch Oprah this afternoon.

With gratitude....

Louise
Carrie J said…
I happened to see the Oprah show before reading your post. After the show I understood the principle better and plan on reading the book.
Patty don't ever start censuring yourself. That would definately not be a good thing.
I enjoy your blog very much.
Shellie said…
I'm so glad you posted this. I was struggling a bit internally with something. I had felt a strong pull towards something happening soon and then it just disappeared and I couldn't decide if it was something I had unconsciously done to push it away. But I watched Oprah yesterday and have a better understanding about what's going on. If that makes any sense. ;)

Anyway, thank you for posting this at just the right time and reminding me about the Oprah show.
Unknown said…
Patty, I had to tell you.. with dh laid up I was giving into fear that we were going to fall further financially (we lost (75%) of our income just before Christmas. Anyway.. Today I decided- I am not asking for money to fall out of the sky.. just money that is owed to us or new clients so Jeff can make that money.. So I walked around saying "Money comes easily and often". Today a large check came in from a client! Then this afternoon Jeff got a phone call from a chevy dealership my dad works at. they need jeff's services desperately and will pay him very well.. We may well have made up the 75% we lost with this one client! I am so very excited. I was definitely praising God!

Popular Posts