I have Not Fallen Off the Face of the Earth

Most of the painting is done. It seems to be taking a long time to do a job that I would at one time do in one day, but life is busy, and the evenings are for relaxing. We have the crown moulding up on most of the room, drapes hung on two windows and I feel very happy that it all looks less formal than I had thought it might. We are not stuffy folks. I would never be happy with things looking like a magazine, its not who we are. Besides its hard to make a wood stove look formal ! I am satisfied with how its turning out, since my kerosene lamps still look fine sitting on the shelf. I fall prey to grandiose thoughts from time to time, but my conscience keeps me in line. There are far more important things in life than having things...that turn into "stuff" in 6 months time. I think its been hard for me to be o.k. with having a few new things in the house, ones that don't fit into the "plain" way of thinking. When I hung my drapes, my first thought was hearing the fist pounding and harsh voice of our old minister telling everyone that even lace curtains are wrong and sinful. Its hard to get past that. Living "plain" stays with you and its not easy to get past without feeling a level of guilt that is hard to explain, hard to push past. Its never that a bible verse or that small still voice convicts me, its just that hard driving, fist pounding minister that I hear. Then I think a bit...well, simplicity does seem most Christ like. I am just thinking out loud here. I am not looking for advice. I guess the best way to explain it, is that I am content and don't need to go any further with changing things in the house. I am a simple living country girl, who will always have dirt on her shoes and under her fingernails.

Comments

Unknown said…
i love the curtains! They are beautiful ~ not too fussy.
Bren said…
"having things...that turn into "stuff" in 6 months time."
Powerful words to think on!!! Your room is beautiful...fresh and very inviting.
The curtains are lovely; they give a warm welcoming feeling. And of course, bookshelves are furniture every home needs! I am sorry you had that minister who seems not to have understood that God loves beauty and created it, and we are meant to follow him, not in an excessive, proud, way, of course, but with grateful hearts.
Kathy said…
It looks lovely, Patty! And I agree with Kristi's statement completely. Enjoy your lovely home and lifestyle!
Teri said…
Those curtains are so lovely!
Jo Lynn said…
Boy do I understand the stuff thoughts. I have good motives when I buy the stuff but some of it never makes it to where my intentions have it going. Really need to have a yard sale, too. Hope you make out well tomorrow with yours.
Janette said…
I understand the stuff comment- but love the curtains.
janette

Popular Posts