Its Soap Making Day Again

Part of our commitment to living simply is to make as many of the things we use on a daily basis. One of those things is soap. I have been making soap for nearly 20 years now. We use it to bathe with and I grate it for our laundry soap. There is something very satisfying about making things from scratch, more so than if they were made with a pre-measured kit of some kind. For me, making things from start to finish is much like the difference in making a cake from scratch or opening up a box of cake mix, adding in a couple eggs, water and some oil. Its just not the same as doing it all the old fashioned way. Many times I have thought that perhaps I was born in the wrong century, preferring to do things in a way that seems a bit more complicated but that makes me far less dependant on doing things the easy way. I like knowing that if the world sort of fell apart, I wouldn't be cowering in the corner, pulling my hair out in despair because I didn't know how to live without all the modern conveniences. Must be that Yankee Independence coming out in me. I would far rather be one of the ten virgins that was prepared for the unexpected in life.

Matthew 1:1 “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3 The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4 The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5 The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.

click on the link below for pictures and recipes for soap

Comments

Unknown said…
You are my kind of woman! i started making soap about 20 years ago, also because i love learning to do things the "old-fashioned" way. i think that i, like Paul, was "born out of due time". i have perfected my soap recipe and now sell some at a local crafters market.

Popular Posts