Having had what seemed to be copious amounts of water before bed last night, there was the normal consequences of my actions, an early trip to the bathroom. The back door is right next to our bathroom and I just had to stop there for a moment and see the unfolding drama of the early morning sky.
The scene was amazing but I was not willing to go get the camera and take pictures as I was far too anxious to get back to that cozy place I had been, in the place I love the most, resting my head on my husbands chest. So there is no picture this morning. My comfy bed won out and rather than stand out in the damp grass taking pictures I climbed back under the covers and sunk down in the feather bed.
But the sky I had seen kept running through my thoughts. I kept thinking how could I describe the way the dark gray clouds were being chased across the sky from the southwest. Then I remembered seeing a scene in little house on the prairie this week. It showed a great steam engine pulling in to the station to take on some water. Great puffs of gray smoke billowing in the air and leaving roadways of darkness across the blue sky. This morning was much like that, a steady stream of dark clouds trailing along some unseen force. Even though I only stood there a minute watching, it will stay with me today and give me the challenge of trying to find words that can say what I saw.
Actually there is written in a book "The Importance of Living" by Lin Yutang, (which on the dust jacket says it is a personal guide to enjoyment) a paragraph or two about such events as this morning. He speaks of the sunset but you will understand the comparison. His words as breathtaking as the event. I will include his word picture here. If you have not ready anything by Lin Yutang, you have missed a great deal. He writes on page 283...
"The best "spectacle" I ever saw took place one evening on the Indian Ocean. It was truly immense. The stage was a hundred miles wide and three miles high, and on it nature enacted a drama lasting half an hour, now with giant dragons, dinosaurs and lions moving across the sky - how the lion's head swelled and their manes spread and how the dragons' backs bent and wriggled and curled! -now showing armies of white clad and gray uniformed armies and officers with golden epaulets, marching and counter marching and united in combat and retreating again. As the battle and chase were going on, the stage-lights changed, and the soldiers in white uniforms burst out in orange and the soldiers in gray uniforms seemed to don purple, while the backdrop was a flaming iridescent gold. Nature's stage technicians gradually dimmed the lights, the purple overcame and swallowed up the orange, and changed into deeper and deeper mauve and gray, presenting for the last five minutes a spectacle of unspeakable tragedy and black disaster before the lights went out. And I did not pay a single cent to watch the grandest show of my life."

Comments

Popular Posts