Fall time is the season for apple goodies. Each fall I can many jars of apple pie filling which is a life saver time wise when holidays arrive. Just open a jar and you have yummy home made pie filling all ready to use.
As a family we have favorite apple recipes we use each autumn.
Yesterday I made the apple pie in the picture, using 8 big apples so it was a good size pie.
We also like Dutch apple pancakes, the kind you bake in the oven, made with lots of good farm fresh eggs.
Each pancake is made in a cast iron skillet and is more than a meal in itself.
Another favorite for fall time is a recipe I found in Yankee magazine way back in the early 1970's before I was married.
I made it for my family while I was still at home.
Here is the recipe. Its simple and yummy, especially with some vanilla ice cream on the side while its still warm from the oven.

This is the recipe from Yankee magazine that I have been making for over 30 years

SPICEY APPLE BARS

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 unbeaten eggs
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 cups diced apples
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

put all ingredients except apples and nuts in a bowl and mix well. Stir in apples and nuts, bake in greased 9" pan Bake at 375 for 25 minutes

Comments

Popular Posts