Lifestyle, Weight and Health


Lifestyle and weight seem to run hand and hand. The modern lifestyle seems to have a firm grasp on obesity and a rather sedentary life. When you look at the folks in the "Blue Zones" they eat very different foods in each group, but they do have one thing in common, they are all active. I wondered about the Amish, what is their health like compared to the masses in the U.S. I know they don't go running to Doctors for just any ailment and preventative care is about unheard of with them. Sort of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. They don't do health insurance so going to the Doctor is an expensive venture for them and having diagnostic testing done is beyond expensive. That I know for a fact, since last years urinary tract woes cost us over $7,000 for them to tell me I am perfectly healthy, just had a super bug from a test done at a medical facility that was difficult to treat, antibiotic resistant.
Amish eat what we would never call low fat, and baked goods are served pretty regularly. Of course you are not going to find all the processed foods and fast food is not popular. Why eat junk food when mom and the girls can cook such good meals ?
In looking at some of the research done, it sure seems that working hard, not sitting in front of the computer for most of the day, and doing things a more old fashioned way, seems to protect us, kick some genetic link that protects us from so many of today's illnesses. When I saw the data that Amish have cancer rates that are 72% less than the general population, my jaw dropped open. That is huge ! 72% ! I suspect there are lots of reasons for that, maybe being non-electric helps, maybe not driving in cars contributes to that, or eating food you grow, or not eating food you don't grow, lack of promiscuity, lack of smoking and drinking, (apart from the sort time of rumspringa). There is lots to consider.
I live in two worlds, the little farm, grow your own, simple life, but then, here I am sitting in front of the computer typing away, and a dear daughter of mine has gotten me hooked on Farmville, which is taking way too much of my time. I drive a car, and on occasion eat fast food, yet concerned about what things are low fat. I don't eat low fat, but I think about that maybe I should, although my blood work is perfect. No diabetes, no high cholesterol, blood pressure has been creeping up a bit in the last few years and now, I am wondering if that is due to the computer : ) Perhaps the computer is taking away my time from working, really working around the place. Not sitting and knitting, but weeding the garden more often, walking to the store instead of driving.
Maybe this plan was for the whole of mankind until the end of time, and we just are not working according to Gods plan and our health is suffering.
Genesis 3:17 To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat of it,' Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life.
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat the plants of the field.
19 By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return."

I think there is something better than low fat foods, farm work !

Health of The Amish People
What Can Your Learn From The Amish About Staying Healthy
The Effect Of Obesity-Related Gene Can Be Blunted By High Levels Of Physical Activity, Study Suggests

Comments

Patty, this is especially interesting as the little farm we are buying in KY has a large Amish population in the surrounding hamlets. My husband has long held that eating natural, home grown food as much as possible, as well as doing regular physical work contributes to better health and longevity. I'll come back to read article and catch up on your blog when I'm settled in KY and have internet again.

Popular Posts