Winter is here



The cold winter winds have been blowing. This morning I woke to a very cold house. It was in the 50's in the living room, making getting a fire going in the stove, the first order of business.
Even the sunrise looked cold this morning.
I saw on the news today that the record low for this day in our area was 1 F in 1912. I could not help but think back to the family that lived in our house then. It was just a simple batt and board structure, no insulation. A 3 room house, rooms in a row. Living room, bedroom and then the kitchen. I figure they had a parlor stove, and a wood cook stove in the kitchen, with both those going, perhaps the bedroom, sandwiched between those two rooms with stoves, stayed a little warm while the fires burned.
Emery brought in a lot of wood this morning, which most of which I have burned.
I spent the morning working on some little needle felted birds for Mei-Ling to play with. She is a real bird watcher. Loves birds and imitates the songs of her favorites and is learning how to use my crow caller. A child's love of nature should be encouraged at every turn.
After working on a shawl I am crocheting for some of the morning, I set about to make a needle felted cardinal and snowy owl for Mei-Ling to play with.
Sitting by the fire, in my cozy warm house on this cold winter day, I feel so blessed for all that I have in my life.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your little birds are so cute! We finally have some sunshine after the devastating floods in our area over the last few days. It is hot and humid - I do miss the English winters that I grew up with.
Anonymous said…
Patty, that little cardinal is so cute. I want to learn how to do that so bad but I have so many projects going right now, it will have to wait. I wish I lived closer so I could get you to show me how.

Grace & Peace
Val said…
Oh I love the little birds too. I have been taking pics of the birds in the snow and having so much fun doing it. You are blessed. We all are so blessed.
It has been frigid here for several days, below zero at night, and highs in the single digits. We, too, have kept the old wood stove going. It isn't our only source of heat, but it sure keeps part of the house cozy and warm.
The birds are really cute!
nancyr
I hope your cold is responding to some quiet time. I enjoy your bird photos--I've spent hours trying to focus well on the birds at the feeder beyond our dining room window. Most of my results are blurred.
Maybe I need to have woolen birds?

Popular Posts