The Beauty of A New Day


The ground is covered in frost...turning the brown landscape of winter into the look of cinnamon sugar sprinkled on morning toast. The sky transforming from night to day in colors of oranges and gold creeping up the horizon. The moon hanging in the sky much like a child's nursery rhyme painting. As the sky lightens with the arrival of the morning sun, the birds appear at my feeders. Great numbers of them, in all sorts of colors and shapes. Each singing its own morning song of praise. Inca and Morning Doves dance around picking for seeds on the ground. A ballet of sorts. This day already holds so much beauty.
In the room across the hall, Mei-Ling sleeps in her snow white crib, covered in down comforters and soft pink blankets. Her face so peaceful, I dare not even snap a photo for fear of waking her.
What a miracle she is, evidence that prayer works. Today a new family member may just get to come home. Another blessing for us, another miracle.
Life has been busy for me the past few months and many of the things I love to do, like sit by the fire and read have been replaced by driving Melanie to the Doctors or the hospital, but those moments were gladly given. I suppose it would not be honest of me to say I have not missed those times alone where I sew the day away or sit at my spinning wheel for hours, just thinking.
But there was a greater need, a family need, a love calling. Our attitude towards serving one another changes the difficulty of the task. When offered in love, the task seems always sweet.
The Amish like to say, " its not the hills ahead that wear you out, its the grain of sand in your shoe."

Comments

Don said…
Congratulations on the entrance of a new gift from God and for the health of all. Your writing and reflections have been so lovely this past quarter that my daily visits to your homestead have been a highlight at the end of a day.

Popular Posts