A Winters Day Ramble


Damp gray air creates the perfect atmosphere for a long walk among the trees, the plants gone dull by winter weather. The ground damp, cold, sleeping. Trees bare, but beautiful all on their own, fine sculptures of wood and bark, reaching, stretching towards the sun. The sky, like layers of gray frayed ribbons laying upon one another. The air clean and invigorating, filling my being with pure energy with each deep breath. It is a day for thinking, for musing, for spending a moment here and there just existing, just being in the present. The silence that surrounds me is indeed golden. Harry walks by my side, he too understands the moment with wise dog sense. I could never be the yippy little dog sort of person, I need a companion that is wise and silent in his steps through the woods and pasture. A sight hound with great control, that will not run ahead without a command. He seems to see things deeply and understand my moods.
There are no rushed moments to my day. Each minute savored like a sip of fine wine that you let linger on your tongue, as if to catch each and every aspect of the flavor, the influence of what surrounded the grapes as they grew to maturity.
My mind uncrowded and free. It is joyful in a quiet untamed sort of way. I love this kind of day. They belong to me alone, carved in my memory to be drawn upon when standing in a long line at the store, or waiting in traffic or while stirring a pot of stew or kneading bread. These moments are soul food.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congratulations on your new grandson. I have a lot of catching up to do! I love your winter photos and posts - it's so very hot here at the moment.
What a lovely blog...your garden,and the eyes on that darling dog...your kitty, the eggs in the basket, clothesline, birds, living a simple life....looks like we have alot in common..

i found you through Dog Trot Farm and I'll be following you along the way...

more later

best,
kary and buddy

Popular Posts