The Truth About Aging is Not Always Fun




For months I have been having knee pain.  Sure that I hurt it exercising  and certainly had torn something.  After all WebMD helped me figure out what was wrong so I could tell the Doctor LOL.  At any rate, my knee was getting more sore each day for the last week.  Painful enough that I had trouble sleeping.  I had bumped it one afternoon and it was not really pleasant going for even the small hike.  I made an appointment with the Orthopedic surgeon and had pretty well decided I would be having surgery right away for this tear.  Got there, and had my X-ray and when the Doctor came in and showed me my X-ray and told me what he saw, I simply wanted to cry.  I have osteoarthritis !  Made me feel OLD and I don't feel old, I don't even particularly like the concept of being old just yet.  He told me that I would probably need knee replacement surgery in 5-6 years.  There just isn't a lot of cartilage on one side of my knee.  I had a shot that made me want to cry and went on my way, feeling pretty downcast.  I go back in a couple weeks to see if the pain is better or if they need to investigate more closely for a tear on the other side of my knee.  Today, one day after that shot, my knee feels lots better.  I will be able to do all the things I love, just no jumping or running, which to be honest, I have not JUMPED in years anyway and as for running, I can be content to just walk miles upon miles.   While I was in pain, resting my knee....Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation, I got lots of knitting done and made a pair of wool felt shoes for the baby to be, if its a girl that is, and if its not, I will hang them on the Christmas Tree.    I don't much like this aging business, but it is what it is.  Hard to hear your body is falling apart at the seams and that you just have to pull yourself up by your boot straps and fight it.  Good to know I can still do the things I love, just might be a time, here and there that I get more knitting done when the beastly thing flares up.  Good motivation to keep on with the dieting process and all those laps in the pool where I jog in the water.  I am grateful for being healthy over all and this is just one small hitch in the giddle of life.  Payment the Doctor thinks from years of Ballet.  I celebrated feeling better today by getting my hair trimmed and shopping at the health food store and a stop on the way home at Starbucks for a Pumpkin Spice Latte.  Life is good !

Comments

flachsbluete said…
Hi Patty, there is some research done on strengthening the muscles around the knee to slow down this process, and different strategies to keep inflammations in check.

Bicycling should be good, and some knee-strengthening workouts (with or without weights). A good physio will tell.

Pain treatment and OP should always be the last choice.
Patty said…
Bettina, I feel so blessed to have a Dr that thinks surgery is the last resort and has encouraged me to continue with all my activities such as jogging laps in the poor, water exercise, tread mill, thai chi, stationary bike and whatever else I want to do as long as I stay away from jumping and running. I also have a list of exercises to do specifically to strengthen the muscles around the knee, although he laughed a bit when he was feeling around my knee, saying I had athletic legs with plenty of muscles !

Popular Posts