What's New ?



It has been a busy week.  The day after Christmas, Emery and I did our annual after Christmas sale shopping.  For the past decade or more, I have shopped the day after for next years Christmas wrap, Christmas cards and for decorations.   Since redecorating the living room, the old decorations no longer fit in with the look we have worked to achieve, making the after Christmas sales a real benefit.   I was thrilled to fill an entire shopping cart at Michael's for under $100, which translated into about $400 worth of decorations pre sale price.  I like sales !  It was fun to buy wrapping paper that had all the same colors as my drapes and yet pay less than even the cheapest wrap during the season.   All the decorations for the dinning room this year were purchased on sale after Christmas last year.  My Christmas cards for next year are already addressed and stored for next years sending to the folks I know will not be moving.   
This is going to be a very intense month for me.  My father is having surgery the 18th, and they will be doing a biopsy at the same time, checking for bone cancer.  My heart is heavy.   Then on the 24th, Mei-Ling will be having a huge surgery with a very long and difficult recovery.  A month recovery in bed for a 4 year old is beyond difficult.  The surgery itself, is about a 7-8 procedure.   On top of this, Emery will be having some follow up tests from his hospital stay last fall.   It will be a month of much prayer !
On a fun note, yesterday I was shopping at one of my favorite stores and checked for the umpteenth time, the price on a set of cooper pans.  I have a copper crepe pan that I adore, and have dreamed about owning a set of copper cookware for many years but the price makes it hard to justify the purchase.  I even have a picture of them on my vision board.  Yesterday, there they were, marked down from the normal price and then for their after Christmas sale, everything marked down was an additional 50% off.  I called Emery at work and asked if I could buy them, his response was music to my ears and now I am the proud owner of three new copper pans.   Can't wait to use them.   This stage of our life is what we have worked towards for our entire marriage.  Happy adult children that are well established.  Grandchildren that bless us in more ways then we could have ever imagined.  We have been debt free for many years.  Our retirement is well planned for and we are blessed to be able to enjoy life.   Simple living has paid off.  Life is good.  
The last photo is of my father and Mei-Ling over 3 years ago, sitting side by side in their rocking chairs.  I love it !

Comments

Eileen said…
I just found your blog and loved the idea of addressing Christmas cards now for next year.
I sincerely hope all goes well with your family in their up coming surgeries. They will be in our prayers
I plan on reading your entire blog as I am always interested in Simple Living
aimee said…
I will be praying for your dad, Mei-Ling and Emery--you too! Congrats on your good shopping deals, particularly your copper cookware! Enjoy:)
Blessings,
Aimee
PS: Great idea on addressing the cards ahead of time--
Mary Ann said…
Hurrah for the copper pans! I was blessed to inherit some Revere Ware from my mother, and I have always loved them.

What good ideas you had about shopping for next Christmas... we will put those to good use next year, I didn't even think of Michael's!

Popular Posts