Life Just Keeps Getting Better



This morning Emery woke me up in the sweetest way, playing Frank Sinatra's, The Way You Look Tonight" for me. He had been awake long before I was and moved silently around the house as not to wake me, but he knows I would be very disappointed if he didn't wake me to kiss me good-bye before he left for work. Its wonderful to wake up smiling. We so often dance to that song, nothing planned, just when it happens to be playing on my iPod in the kitchen when I am making supper or when I greet him at the door when he arrives home from work. It might seem a bit like a 1950's movie, but it works for us.
Emery and I feel like we have carved out just the life we dreamed of. Its had hard parts. In our 32 years we have counted nickles, literally. We have nearly lost a child to diabetes. There has been a lost job. Extended family woes and the hardship of seeing Mei-Ling go through so many health crises, but, the strength we get from one another and from our faith, has always gotten us through the tough parts.
Now, with the children grown and all doing well, we can sit back and enjoy the fruits of our labors. We planned our life well and life just keeps getting better.
This past weekend, we spent hours and hours working side by side on the land. Emery cut a diseased tree down, I trimmed hedges and planted flowers. We sat in the rose garden taking a break mid afternoon, sipping fruit punch. Laughing and admiring the work we have done.
Our life is simple, uncomplicated, slow enough to be able to listen to the birds sing, and watch the flowers grow. We have always made time for the things that money cannot buy. The things that you tuck away in your heart as precious memories to treasure.
There has always been time for love notes left on the desk or on the pillow and time to cultivate an unspoken language of expressions. Time to pray together and share ideas and our dreams, even when we were rocking babies. Treasure the important things in life and then you can truly say, life just keeps getting better.

Comments

Always Learning said…
I am curious...Have you always had a good marriage or did you have to learn to be a good wife like I did? My whole blog is mostly encouraging women to be wives instead of mothers to their husbands. It seems you just get it.
Patty said…
Hi Lori, I can honestly say, that we have always had a fantastic marriage. I had a good example in my own parents, and Emery is just so kind and thoughtful. In our 32 years, he has never once said an unkind word to me or shown any kind of temper. He appreciates every little thing I do for him and I am feel the same about him. We dated two weeks before he asked me to marry him, and we were married 10 weeks after our first date. We just knew and it just keeps getting better.
Jenn said…
I married young and took a little flack for that. But, here we are 18 years later and I can say I'm married to my very best friend and wouldn't change a thing!

Thank you for your heart warming post. I hope in 18 more years we are enjoying the fruits of our labors as you and Emery are!

Popular Posts