Quiet Holiness

It is raining out, with the temperature hovering right at freezing. A degree away from ice. It's damp, dark gray morning, the kind of morning that always makes me think of being in some ancient cathedral. Not because I see them as dark places, but more like it is on this kind of day I have been more likely to visit one. I have filled the living room with candles. The flickering of the wicks low in their glass containers gives me a feeling of comfort, a sign that my deepest prayers are being seen and heard. Gregorian chants playing on the stereo complete the feeling of holiness. I believe we all need days that are steeped in the feeling of quiet holiness. To refresh the soul, step away from the television, the shopping, the creating of more stuff to deal with, and just spend the day in quietude. A day when one can time seeking. It never harms a child to experience this type of day, for them to find the beauty in quiet holiness. Not pushed on them, not enforced, but experienced and absorbed.
Mother Teresa is a woman I greatly admire. Her compassion is her legacy. What could be better for any human to be known for ? Her love of humanity so tender and merciful. She had six steps to creating peace : silence, prayer, faith, love, service, and peace. One cannot find peace without silent moments to hear, or without prayer, faith, love of which the fruit is always service and in giving, not of money or things, but of ourselves, then, we do find peace.
Some Quotes to think about by Mother Teresa
"Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go. "

"Let us touch the dying, the poor, the lonely and the unwanted according to the graces we have received and let us not be ashamed or slow to do the humble work."

"One of the greatest diseases is to be nobody to anybody. "

"There must be a reason why some people can afford to live well. They must have worked for it. I only feel angry when I see waste. When I see people throwing away things that we could use. "

"We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls. "

"We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty. "

Comments

Carole said…
Oh, what a coincidence that you should quote Mother Teresa ! I bought a book about her recently and the very simple and profound things she said made my eyes water more often than not... I admire such faith and devotion. When I get to, I'll tell about it in my blog ! (we've been very very busy around here).

Popular Posts