The Christmas Season

I was putting away some of my Christmas decorations and feeling a bit sad, since I love the Christmas season so much. All the vibrant colors, the scents and the joyfulness that goes along with the holidays. I sat down for my breakfast, using my favorite, Twas the Night Before Christmas dishes and smiling at how the decorations, casually sitting on the table near me, waiting to be put away in a box for another year, matched my breakfast dishes so nicely. It was nice to take a quiet little break and just enjoy the last of the Christmas season.
Its been a very busy month for me, both my daughter and father were in the hospital at the same time, on the same floor of the hospital.  There have been many issues to deal with regarding my Dads failing health that have kept me a bit stressed and very busy seeking the resources he needs in order to stay in his apartment as is his wish.   
Christmas eve, there were four generations at my table, ages 2-95.  I felt so blessed, so full of this love that spanned the generations.   We laughed, we ate, we shared fond memories and complained a bit about the very warm weather.  It always feels a bit "wrong" to have windows and doors open on Christmas eve.  We all like that winter feel of the season.  Warm sweaters, hats and gloves.  Warm puffs of air kissing the dark cold night as we say goodnight to one another at the door.  As the evening came to an end, with the little ones anxious to go to bed so Santa could come, I gathered all 5 grandchildren around me and read, "Twas The Night Before Christmas" to them,  hardly glancing at the words as I so long ago memorized this wonderful poem.   I felt so full of love, so full of hope, and so delighted that we could all be together.  
So, this morning, as I ate my breakfast, smiling at the words that go round the tea cup, I felt a bit sad that the holidays are over for another year.    
On January 2nd, I will start making presents for next Christmas, filling my special red hat box with socks, hats, hand made sheep, deer and bunnies.  Life is good.

Comments

Popular Posts