Simplicity




This morning as I rambled around our place, checking the progress in the rose garden, the vegetable garden, the herb garden and the mint patch, with Harry by my side and the goats eyeing me with care to see if they were going to get a handful of grass from the other side of the fence, (since I am sure goats have their own saying about the grass being "tastier on the other side of the fence") I felt a peace in my heart. As if I really never need go beyond this place in order to find all that I need in life. Home is where the heart is, but so often we run from here to there looking for what is right under our noses. Love, needs cultivating just as the garden does. It needs care, nurturing and time spent on it. I could run to the store 4 times a day to buy more garden supplies, yet without spending time on the garden, all the things on the market would not improve it if no time time spent digging out the weeds, or bending down checking the plants. Real gardens are tended by hands that get dirty, and perhaps have a broken fingernail or two. So it is with families and marriages. We can buy all the stuff on the market, give the children all the lessons we think they need, yet never really get rid of the weeds that grow in our hearts that strangle good relationships. Its not the cost of the clothing, or the make and model of the car you drive that makes love grow, its time spent together, talking, eating meals at the same time at the table. Its having bonds that are strong enough to handle the little misunderstandings that come along. Those strong bonds develop the same way strong plants grow in the garden. Tender loving care and getting down on your knees to see closely what needs there are. Running here and there every single day, steals away from us so many opportunities to nurture love. Husbands and wives so busy that they barely have time for a decent conversation, let alone time to build deeper bonds of love. Children follow suit, with so many activities they don't have a clue how to play or use imagination. Simplicity of life, allows so much good strong growth in life that will yield a harvest to be enjoyed.

Comments

This is one of your nicest essays. I've been reading your blog long enough to recognize some of your favorite "themes" but sometimes they are expressed in a particularly winning way.
Although we are finding that spring comes blessedly early to Kentucky, you're ahead of us in Texas. I'm waiting eagerly for the old iris and peonies in this yard to blossom, even as I add new plants to a newly "turned" stretch of ground.
When we lived in New England I always wanted a clemetis vine. I rejoiced 10 days ago when one here on an improvised trellis put out lovely green-veined white blooms. Today I realized the trellis holds two varieties--a lavender blossom has opened.
Although we have "settled" for a smaller house than previously the acreage with it is such a source of joy and the surprise of the clemetis seems like a special blessing was held in store. I can imagine a heavenly Father smiling when I discovered it.
Carinne said…
I have not checked your blog in quite some time, but I'm really glad I did today because it was JUST what this busy Los Angeles mom needed to hear!

I love your pics and have a small garden, it makes me feel the same way.

Thank you.
Carinne said…
ahahaha I thought my comment was dissapearing....so sorry!!
Carinne said…
I have not checked your blog in quite some time and am really glad I did today. It's exactly what I needed to hear.

Thank YOU.
QuiltingFitzy said…
These are the words I love to hear from you.

It's easy to get caught up in the daily grind, but it takes every bit of fortitude in my soul to step back and love the moment.

Popular Posts