A Busy Week






Its been a busy week, as most of my weeks are.  By choice.  I like to be busy.  Working hard during the day, always gives me sweet sleep at night and there is something very comforting to me, knowing I did not waste the hours given me.  Now, I know how to take breaks and rest too, and my busy-ness is at my own pace these days, but still, I am no fan of idle moments.  I can thank my Mennonite years for this mindset.  I grew up spoiled in regard to working.  I never did dishes growing up or picked my toys up.  I learned how to do many crafts as a young lady, and learned to cook but never had to clean up after myself. Living on our homestead and seeing the other Mennonite women, work joyfully and with a contentment I had never known in my youth, was a major turning point in my life.   I am forever grateful for learning what it means to work with joy in my heart.  This week, I had fun making a Sami style jacket and hat for Axel.  Celebrating his Sami roots. His other Grandmother is Finnish heritage and Emery has Sami roots way back in his family line.  It was fun sewing all those beautiful trims on the outfit for Axel. (my childhood doll, now 56 years old, is the model)  I had been collecting these woven trims for several years and this seemed to be the perfect project to use them on.
Yesterday, I spent time in the kitchen making Gingered Cranberry Sauce with Maple Syrup
It tastes wonderful and doubling the recipe yielded 6 pints.    
After a busy afternoon, I sat down for an old fashioned treat.  My grandmother, a fine woman from Nova Scotia, taught me to love this simple fare.  Bread, butter and molasses.  Perfect treat for a busy afternoon.   I think its a bit unfortunate that we have forgotten so many of those simple treats of days gone by.  Time for me to get busy with the chores of the day.  On the sewing table, two skirts to be made and a flannel blanket for Axel.   May your day be blessed.

Comments

Christine said…
You are a lady after my own heart.
Busy and content doing loving things for others.
The outfit is so unique ad will be an treasured.
Beautiful outfit for Axel. He will receive rave reviews when he wears it!
aimee said…
Gorgeous Sami outfit Patty! I have always enjoyed seeing your Scandinavian dolls and clothing.
Wishing you and your family a blessed Thanksgiving week.
Blessings, Aimee
PS: The cranberry sauce sounds very good. I will have to check it out.

Popular Posts