A New Day





Juice fast is done, ended it yesterday.  It served its purpose.  Learned that it wasn't benefiting me to do it any longer.   Summer heat has really set in.  Yesterday was 106 F (41.1 C) and today is supposed to be the same.  Its our time to hibernate during the day.  Outside in the early morning to do chores and such.  Clothes on the line dry faster than if you used a modern clothes dryer !  I spent some time on the porch after Emery went to work, doing some knitting, and having some breakfast.  Whole wheat toast, with a sprinkling of cardamon and sugar on it and some coffee.  That feels like a perfect breakfast to me after all this fasting stuff.   
Always around this month, I am tired of summer and have dreams of wool socks, cozy fires in the wood stove, anything pumpkin flavor, jeans and flannel shirts.  Its the time of the year when I sit in front of the air conditioner and knit warm things, hoping to be able to use them earlier than I did last year.   I had some wonderful Crystal Palace Mini Mochi, Baby Face yarn calling my name that I had purchased last fall.  I found a delightful, simple patter for a sort of shawl scarf, called Nora's Comfort  that would show off the colors of the yarn perfectly.  I am making in on size 2 needles so that its a finer knit than the pattern calls for.   The colors are delightful ! 
It feels a bit like life is back to normal for me for the first time in many months.  A lot has happened in 2012 for our family, many many challenges were faced.    I like heading back to the simple ways, it feels a bit like coming home after a long journey.  Life is good and the simple life is even better.

Comments

Tina Leigh said…
I know what you mean about hibernating!! That's just how I feel. I do my outside things in the early morning & late eve. In between I'm dreaming about Fall and going to the mountains! Anything or anywhere to get away from the humidity and bugs!!
JacquiG said…
Sounds like your juice fasting was a real learning experience for you. You did encourage me to try smoothies (no way I could do a juice fast so I'm impressed you went 5 days!). I'm really enjoying the smoothies! Fruit ones for breakfast and veggie ones as part of my lunch. Amazingly, when I stepped on the scale this morning I'd lost 3 lbs since Sunday! I think it's all water though.

I quite like that shawl you are making. I might take a closer look at that. I need to make myself a nice scarf ready for the winter. Boy, you've got me thinking about it now!

Stay cool in that Texas heat!
Peacemom said…
Lovely scarf! I'm very ready for Autumn myself up here in NH. We've had a hot summer (for New England, but not as hot as yours!) with a lot of humidity and I'm ready for a number lower on the thermometer! I did feel the mental and internal shift somewhat yesterday, August 1 always does that to me. I even canned some waxed beans from the garden in honor of that feeling. Time to get the wood stacked and tend to the garden so harvest season is fruitful. Please post a photo of the scarf completed, I love the cheerful colors. Peace to you, ~Vonnie in NH
Anonymous said…
I made a similar scarf (Baktus pattern)with my handspun and it's an absolute favourite - I'm sure you'll get lots of wear from your lovely scarf. We are heading into spring and not looking forward to the hot summer. Love the photo of Mei-Ling baking.

Popular Posts